Tuesday, July 15, 2008

July Blooms..

This is the flower bed just outside the Lodge. It is jam packed with all sorts of lovely things: hostas, daylilies, foxglove, sedum, snapdragons, peonies and hydrangeas. I absolutely love it. Just looking at it brightens my day, and there is always something beautiful blooming in it.
Here are the nasturtiums in the West Garden that are adding their sunny faces to our landscape. They are also edible and add a peppery splash of brightness to salads, or at the very least they can provide a beautiful garnish. They are easy to grow as well, which is a good thing for a gardener like me. (I have an innate ability to kill indoor plants and anything fussy, but amazingly my children are all alive and thriving). Nasturtiums do not like to be moved around, so it is better to seed them directly where you want them. Pop them in the ground in the spring and keep them weeded and watered and they will bloom like mad.

Here is a recipe for Nasturtium Risotto. I haven't tried it yet but plan to. It sounds scrumptious!

No comments: