Saturday, November 3, 2007

Downsizing Collections...

I am a collector. By default. You might not know this, but some collections are pursued, while others are thrust upon a person.

I am a victim of the latter.

Somehow I have managed to accumulate an astonishing number of children, cats and dogs, all mingled together. One husband, too. I'm not sure how it all happened, but I think they came with the place.

Which suits the Lodge just fine.

It's flouncy skirts of lawn were meant for romping children. Trees cry out to be climbed. Frogs and turtles are just waiting to be found down by the lake and fish jump tantalizingly close to fishing lines strung to fishing poles clutched in hopeful little hands. Dogs delight in the acres of freedom they have to bound and bark, cavort and play. Cats love to curl up on the rocking chairs for languid summer afternoon naps (and come to think of it, any other time as well).

How many people and pets can there be you ask? At last count there were eleven.

I think.

It's hard to count them all at once...they keep moving around. To be honest, I can't keep track and really, what does it matter? The Lodge does not discriminate and is open to multiple guests of the furry variety or otherwise (but no snakes or rodents, please). And as for the children, they just seem to reappear at regular intervals, often with friends in tow. I think it is because I encourage them by feeding them. That must be it.

Meet two of the locals. Their names are Smidge (l) and Smudge (r). Smidge was just a little smidgen of a thing when we adopted her, and her sister Smudge a smudgy black mark in motion. They are part of the ever-present landscape that makes up Chickadee Lane Lodge.

You know, from time to time reality sinks in and I look about in bewilderment at the revolving parade of children and pets that cycle through this home. The thought of downsizing flashes through my brain.

But really, I don't mind at all.

I like this collection just the way it is.