Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Laughter is good medicine....

Our family was having dinner together the other night and reviewing the events of the day. My twelve-year-old son was telling me how excited he was about getting to learn origami in art class. Listening attentively, my seven year old daughter saw an opportunity to add something to the conversation and burst in. "I am learning how to do origami in Spanish class!"

"That's great, honey!" I automatically said. "Good for you!"

Then I stopped and looked at her. "What did you just say?"

"I said, I am learning origami in Spanish class!" Impatiently, now, because this wasn't exactly the response she was looking for.

I sat and looked at her for a moment. Then I looked across the table at my sixteen year old son. A smile was threatening to erupt across his face. I looked down at my plate to try to control myself. It was no use. I'm not sure who caved first, but pretty soon the whole table was rocking with laughter.

Only in America can you have a Chinese girl, living with a family of Scandinavians, taking Spanish language lessons, and learning how to create Japanese origami, all at the same time.

As my son said, "Were you eating tacos, too?"

Laughter is good medicine.

No comments: